[aprssig] 6M M/S Mode

Michael Chisena ka2zev at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 08:40:24 EDT 2010

Hi all,
Like Bob B. said, we have a potent station here in Fairfax County Va.
Up on a good tall building.

http://aprs.fi/info/a/NV4FM-6

If memory is any good at all, it's on a standard omni multi band antenna.

I made up the radio part and Bruce K7BC fitted it with a TNC.

It's chirping every so often, and if one of the area mobiles is on, even more so.
Just checked some of the stats.

KA2ZEV-5 in the truck has 13277 recorded hits into the system.
It's a 50 watt XTR ophan mobile.

KA2ZEV-6 in the car has 19379 recorded hits into the system.
It's a 50 watt SY 1 orphan mobile.

K7BC-5 is showing 7064 hits.

What Im getting at, it's a channel that lots of room to expand.

I gave a node unit to Lee N6UDP to take back to school in Rodchester New York. Don't know if he has had the time to set it up. Just checked apparently not.

Also working with a major repeater owner in Winchester VA. He has eqiupment. A node station. I did the radio and Bruce set up the TNC. That has not gone on line yet.
One of the reasons it was set up was to explore ideas like this, so please, send some packets this way.

I have yet to get one complaint from anybody about it.

This is the one I made for Scott for his project in Annapolis MD. It's right near the Naval Academy. But because of the location on the water, range is limited by land.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90108848@N00/sets/72157622458477672/with/3955187973/

This is the one I made for the NVFMA crew.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90108848@N00/sets/72157604141562372/

Since this was built a few things were changed, so the article no longer resembles the installed unit.
The TNC was switched out for an item Bruce got. I think a KPC3.
With the KPC3 we no longer needed the Mic Pre Amp. Midlands take a very hot microphone signal to fully modulate. I have since learned better methods.

This is the 'node' variant for the newer XTR radios. If there is a need I can work out a similar project for the older SY1's. The key difference between the Node and the tracker is that the connection going to the tracker control box is now on the outside of the radio, and the audio levels going to an external TNC are fixed by resistors as to not over drive the TNC.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90108848@N00/sets/72157623533407596/

So please, if you have the ability, give 50.62 a try.
As you can see, the Fairfax node shows up just fine on APRS.fi.

I most likely will be taking a ride someplace around lunch time eastern and be real busy on Saturday. Saturdays are busy. NVFMA Breakfast, and an AMRAD lunch. So it will be chirping. Bruce will be out and about as well.

The point of all this is, lots of action to try and scope out.
Put something on the air and play.

Be well all.
Mike Chisena
KA2ZEV
Herndon VA

"You are, what you do, when it counts"

The Masso<br>

"Gravity, the quickest way down"

Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?

You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.

But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?

If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking