[aprssig] Meteor Scatter

Tom Mandera tsm1 at tmcom.com
Thu Aug 5 15:22:05 EDT 2010

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:25:24 -0400
> From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Meteor Scatter
> To: "'Malachi Doane'" <doane77 at localnet.com>
>
>> Any extra advice for MS this Perseid's shower?
>> Should a 2m station be at 9600 baud too or stay
>> with 1200 whilst working 145.79?

While traveling through central Montana on Tuesday my outbound APRS
packets were not digipeated (no digipeaters within range) and I heard no
incoming activity (traveling Hwy 12, away from population centers).

Then, all of a sudden, as I neared Harlowton, MT, I received two packets.

They both had the same PATH (which I left in the car and need to get),
which didn't look like a local (7-land) or familiar (vanity) call.

I looked at the GPS to see where the two stations I received are and they
were between 1500 and 2000 miles.

Even more odd, one was near Pensacola, FL the other in Maine.

Both with the same PATH and then landing directly in the middle of nowhere.

I'll pull up the call signs and the path later, but it hadn't dawned on me
that maybe this could be explained by (unintentional) meteor-scatter.

-Tom
KE7VUX