[aprssig] PREPS FOR NWAPRS SUMMER GATHERING

David Dobbins ddobbins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:07:54 EDT 2010

I'll work Bob's suggestions into the presentation and discussion, as I
wholeheartedly agree that APRS for position reporting has taken a back seat
to the potential as a messaging system to inform and alert other hams to
activities in the area. We would likely see an increase in APRS users if we
all focused on this key point. We're doing pretty good adopting the new TNC
position settings, reducing the geoloc for the digi down to two, and
reserving the other two loc fields for other data, to include ECHOLINK and
IRLP node listings (I use these when mobile), club meeting announcements,
special events, and whatever else we'd like to get the word out to the
field.

For instance, a group of astrology folks and a few hams will re-launch a
balloon project over the Labor Day weekend from the Lind-Ritzville (WA)
area, on that Saturday, and I can post a one-liner about that, along with a
note on the SIG. I can do it in format so it shows up on everyone's map with
an icon, or alert them where to find more info on the web.

It's also hamfest season in the northwest, and I'll pay attention to getting
the Spokane Hamfest posted on the maps as well.

As I'm not in the habit of doing this, I often overlook the detail and
forget to make the posting in time for it to be of use to anyone else. I
need to correct this oversight and share the wealth with everyone. I'll work
on that.

Let's all continue to make improvements to the APRS system. It's easy and
takes little effort. We'll all benefit in the long run.

David K7GPS