[aprssig] ALOHA Circle Calculation

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 4 10:14:41 EDT 2010

> How did you ever come up with the 1800 number?
> Are you assuming a packet fits in a one-second
> window..

Yes.  Seemed like a good approximation.

> I always had a problem calling APRS an ALOHA
> network because the real ALOHANet used two
> frequencies rather than one.  Acknowledgments
> came back to the sender over a second channel
> which kept the first channel free for the next
> transmission.

To my knowledge that may be true, and that is the obvious first
improvement to make to an ALOHA.  But I thought the definition
of the "ALOHA" net was simplex.  THen the next improvement to
ALOHA is CSMA (carrier sense) then the next improvement is full
duplex, etc..

My definition of an ALOHA circle is an arbitrary calculation not
based on any original ALOHA documents, but is just an attempt to
come up with a metric that gives a bound to the size of the
network based on channel load.

Bob, WB4APR