[aprssig] BLENDING APRS: SEEMLESS INTEGRATION IN A MULTI-FREQUENCY ENVIRONMENT

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Apr 17 21:35:43 EDT 2010

I've been thinking on a completely different but related question and
have a possible suggestion to throw out on the table, but first...

You mentioned a discussion on "the nwaprssig reflector".  Is this an
open forum, and if so, where can I join?

With the recent proliferation of Windows Mobile (APRSISCE), iPhone
(iBCNU), Andoid (APRSdroid.org), and (hopefully soon) BlackBerry APRS-IS
clients with internal tracking ability, I've been wanting RF awareness
when one of these devices drives through my local area.  I'm considering
adding an automatic "throttled" IGate capability to APRSIS32 that would
detect APRS-IS-only devices, not heard on RF, within a configurable
radius of the IGate which would then gate position beacons from -IS to
RF at a configurable (and SLOW) rate with a very reduced path, just to
have the RF environment become aware of the other stations in the area.

This same approach might work for cross-band digipeating between your
various frequencies.