[aprssig] Cross-Band Digi or Gate?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Apr 1 15:05:45 EDT 2010

Greetings,

I'm working on more advanced capabilities for my APRSISCE/32 APRS client
software and am wondering what the proper approach is for gating (or is
it digipeating?) HF traffic onto local VHF frequencies?  Is this an ok
thing to do, or just gate the received packets to APRS-IS and be done
with it?

If I do cross-band them, do they go out over VHF with just used callsign
insertion into the path as a digipeat or does it go back out as a
third-party packet?

Are there any good (read: current) guidance on paths for HF APRS?

I guess what I'm asking is just what did the old dual-ported TNCs do
when configured with GATE?  I'm guessing that software gates can/should
do the same?

PS.  Yes, I have been following the 10m APRS discussion on UI-View and
read Bob's HF.TXT file (http://www.aprs.org/APRS-docs/HF.TXT) last
updated in Jan 2000.