[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed Sep 23 17:38:17 EDT 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Brent Hildebrand wrote:

> Interesting display issue with languages that read right-to-left,
> depending on the client program of course, is that if the message number
> at the end of the text message is included in the display, it comes out
> in reverse order.   "Message{21"  gets displayed as "21}Message", where
> message is the unicode text for the right-to-left language.  This is
> just a display issue, as ACKs appear to be generated OK.  You can see
> this here: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?call=KH2Z

Heh, nice effect indeed. But that's probably just a sign of things working
as they should for right-to-left languages. The raw packets still have the
{message-id in the end of the packet, it's just displayed in the left. So
the acks will be fine.

at 18:08:23z:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?call=KH2Z
http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=TEST-1+&limit=50

I tried to paste the right-to-left string from the findu web page to my
email application. The paste worked so much that the characters seemed ok,
but it was left-to-right again. So much for my email program working
correctly :)

   - Hessu