[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS (was: Future Concept for APRS)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 22 18:15:32 EDT 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> Or reversing: A 256 byte frame can contain anything in between 64
> and 256 UTF-8 encoded characters.

Agreed.  I should have been clear that I was speaking of the max
chars, sorry.

> The 256 octet size limit is very hard ceiling on APRS frame,

Nope.  No hard limit that I can find.  We're not using 'I' frames,
but 'UI' frames for APRS.  I've personally used long UI frames
before while doing TCP/IP packets on top of AX.25 over the air.
They work great.  As far as I know there's no specified limit on UI
frame size.

> I can make my systems to send even larger frames, but how many systems
> will be able to receive them?

Everything that meets the AX.25 spec?