[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Tue Sep 22 10:51:39 EDT 2009

First i would like to say that messages are important for me but also
the tracking capabilities.

When i'm portable i would like to send a message to my server at home so
that i can get the weather status in reply as mobile phone doesn't work
in those areas but APRS have more coverage.

>Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> So the question remains... What would a D7, D700, D710, VX8R,
> Hamhud, Byonics and Argent and Uiview system display if it
> received text in UTF-8?

Regarding the Norwegian letters on the TM-D710 this works ok.

And if i don't remember totally wrong even the TM-D700 can display ÆØÅ

I can do the same test om my TH-D7 if it's important ;o)

The VX8 in my opinion is a water proof tracker and is very UNlogic to
use. Have used it once and i'm not going to buy that unit. Maybe they
are able to create a usable mobile version. The pictures seems ok...

To view the ÆØÅæøå on my TM-D710:
http://www.scannernytt.info/LA3QMA/letters.jpg

It's btw sendt via one TM-D710 to another TM-D710

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA