[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Earl Needham earl.kd5xb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:48:02 EDT 2009

I'm wondering if this isn't tied to the character set selected in the OS rather than the client. Is that right?

And as for UTF-8 -- it sounds like a dream com true, if each different character set displays as it should without affecting any of the others, albeit with some amount of overhead in the form of more bytes-per-character.

Seems to me all the discussion, whether heated or not, could be put down as "growing pains" as APRS expands from mostly an American operation to a mostly English-speaking operation to a truly international operation. This might indicate that it's time to consider version 2 of the spec in order to include everybody.

7 3
Earl