[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Sep 22 09:26:46 EDT 2009

Matti OH2MQK wrote..

> All existing systems will fail to correctly show characters that are
> outside US-ASCII range.  Will they fail so badly as to break
> themselves (software crash or something), is another issue.

See my reply to Chris G4HYG. After replying to Chris via APRS message
(ack not received) I realized I had received messages from two stations
and not just from him. Some of my reply to him should have gone to you.
See the UI-View screenshot at www.ui-view.org/~files/UTF-8_Messages.jpg
I'll paste it in here too, but the screenshot is the one that counts.

G4HYG-2   Hi Keith, Finnish characters follow: ÅåÖöÄä 73, Chris
OH2KKU-2 this is ascii english
OH2KKU-2 this is utf-8 english
OH2KKU-2 this is utf-8 with scand chars pC$ivC$nC$ sC$C$nnC6t
G4HYG-2  OK Keith, I just sent an email to the APRS SIG confirming it.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH