[aprssig] Help with XASTIR maps

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 22 01:01:13 EDT 2009

Hi Curt, Rick,

The problem seems to be that the GPS/ and Online/ directories do not expand.  I can click on them to select and not select, but they don't do anything.  Right clicking does nothing.  Unclicking and re-clicking the Expand button doesn't do anything other than pop the little square's belly-button in and out.  And for some reason the entire window kind of hops down the screen a quarter of an inch with each button click, but I think that's probably a KDE bug (I'm running KDE 4, which is kind of buggy).

Starting Xastir from a user shell I see a ton of messages about character \260 not being supported in font and being discarded.  Create_appshell text_output2 is the Name, and XmTextField is the Class.  But nothing displayed when I play with the map chooser.

If I choose Help->About Xastir, it tells me something about libcurl, and libcurl is loaded on the system.  Actually the file is /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.  I tried making a sym link for libcurl.so (without the .4), but no change.  "whereis libcurl" does find the sym link, so the path is good.  Wget is also loaded.

The Internet Map timeout is 120 seconds, which should be way long enough.  I'm on a cable modem here.  What is the URL for the Tiger maps, so I can try to ping them?

I do notice that there is a display of "loading weather alert maps" that shows up in the lower left corner of the display whenever I do stuff.  It lasts for about 10 seconds, and then my station call sign is displayed.  I tried zooming out to cover basically the whole country, figuring *somewhere* there must be some weather to be alerted to, but nothing shows up.

What next?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH