[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 21 15:16:50 EDT 2009

 >>> UTF-8 would be very, very good...
>
> Is this going to be practical AT ALL
> within the existing APRS framework?
> Currently the APRS message string length
> is limited to 60-70 bytes...

I can clarify the intent of that limitation.  That limitation
(back then) meant the DISPLAY LENGTH.  I would have no objection
to message strings being longer packets, as long as the
resulting decoded "text" was limited in that range.

So the question remains... What would a D7, D700, D710, VX8R,
Hamhud, Byonics and Argent and Uiview system display if it
received text in UTF-8?

Those who speak english, can still send ASCII.
Those who want to encode/decode UTF-8 are welcome to do so, as
long as it does NOT-LOCKUP or crash any of these very numerous
systems. (IE, is 7 bit)

Bob, Wb4APR