[aprssig] Future Concept for APRS

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Mon Sep 21 13:01:19 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 05:28:55PM +0100, Chris Moulding wrote:
> Matti,
>
> I've recently written a program for APRS messaging using serial TNC's
> called APRS Messenger.
>
> It's not fixed to the US-ASCII character set and to check I've just
> re-set a laptop to the Finnish language and keyboard settings and sent
> APRS messages with the correct Finnish characters over my test rig that
> consists of two APRS TNC Digi Tracker's mounted back to back. It will
> probably work with the Russian character set as well.
>
> You can download the program at
> http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm
>
> The program is now at version 1.8.2.

Sorry, my Solaris workstation does not run Windows programs.

> Let me know if it solves your messaging problem.

You have fallen on the so common windows thinking that "if screen shows
things, then things are good", you have no idea of that the characters sent
over the wire (radio) are really desired byte sequences.

At 99% probability you are sending one of 5 different Windows specific
8-bit character sets, all of which are sort of usable in Finland, and which
have code-point conflicts in between themselves...  Only one of them is
close approximation of ISO-8859-1.

What I, and Sergei want, is ability to send SIMULTANEOUSLY all manner
of different "charsets":  Single messages to carry US-ASCII, Cyrillics,
Latins, Greek, Asians..   There is such a solution, it is called UNICODE.

Showing changing glyphs on text, when you switch "local language", is
sure sign that you have done the wrong thing.

> 73s,
>
> Chris, G4HYG
>
> Chris Moulding
> Cross Country Wireless (2009) Ltd
> 7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
> Website: http://www.crosscountrywireless.net

73 de Matti, OH2MQK