[aprssig] Future Concept for APRS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 21 00:14:31 EDT 2009

The statement below makes a perfect example of why it is not a good idea for individual sysops to start hacking up the Network to solve simple problems that could easily be solved otherwise:

> We stopped free two-way messaging years ago
> when mindless chatter between two neighbouring
> stations from hundreds of kilometres away
> started to increase the channel use by tens
> of percents.

So you disable one of the most important capability for all amateur radio operators to communicate in your country just beacuse two very far away stations are using poor parameters?

This is exactly the problem I am talking about where each sysop does his own thing to cripple the network and all users then suffer and have no idea why they cannot commmunicate.  There are thousands of digipeaters.  We have to assume they work consistenly and not have thousands of individual hacks.

The proper solution in this case is the New-N paradigm to limit hops to 2 or 3, and if the problem is two people, then simply SUPLIST them out of your local digi.  Please do not disable such an importnat function of APRS as messaging for all mobiles.

We have to assume that the network is working as designed, and that means TWO-WAY Messaging is not disabled in some places!  Disabling messaging turns the local network into a vehicle tracking system only.  Vehicle tracking does not interest most hams, and is usually a sure way to see activity die.

Bob, Wb4APR