[aprssig] Future Concept for APRS

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Sun Sep 20 10:54:05 EDT 2009

Bob Bruninga  writes:
> > ... I have some thoughts...
> > ... I propose ... digipeater... intelligence
> > ... local area "mapped"... define spatial
> > rules... they could...  make joint decisions
>
> All Excellent ideas if one were designing a commercial system with a business model and a service one wanted to define and deliver.  But impossible in a flexible amateur network:

Yes. All those ideas are very reasonable, if there is to be any future
for APRS.

Get rid of all last-century hacks, and for Joe's sake, try to start to
think at least a teeny-weeny bit professionally.

> IE, I oppose any draconian filtering or traping of packets based on content.  But I am content with the current NATIONAWIDE more or less traping above 2 hops (sometimes 3) because it is CONSISTENTLY applied as part of the overall New-N Paradigm plan.

You can spend all your time opposing changes, but let me tell you one
very simple fact:

It is not going to make our operations any different. This is what you
call freedom, I suppose? We will filter, we will restrict, we will take
all possible measures to keep our network functional. Remember, it is
our network, not yours. We will even write new software if what is
currently available is not up to _our_ standards.

> It is because of the disctructive tendencies of individual sysops in various places to start arbitrarily trapping, modifying, truncating, ignoreing, etc that we came up with the new-N paradigm to give a national consistent system, instead of individual incompatible feifdoms

Yes. National, not international. Most of the interference up here
comes from abroad. From Sweden and from Russia.

My sincere thanks for your affable remarks,

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!