[aprssig] Future Concept for APRS

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sun Sep 20 06:06:43 EDT 2009

This is a smart digipeater system.  I hate to say it but it's been hashed
out here for years.

1) I may want my packets to take a specific route from city A to city B.  So
the solution to this is to limit the range on omni-pathed packets but allow
the packets with specific callsign related paths.  Fair enough.

2) It would be impossible for a digi to weed out all dx packets... not all
packets contain coordinates.  Messaging, Telemetry and WX are types of
positionless packets. For example, positionless weather alternates sending a
packet with position info and another with wx info. This could be solved by
caching a callsign's position though.  Caching a position would mean that
there would be no use of the network for particular station until he gave
his position.  The other solution to this is to mandate that all packets
contain a position. This adds overhead to a rather bandwidth limited
channel.

3) Imagine that a digiowner decides that he is only going to digipeat things
from the east side of a town.  The digi on the west side fails and now my
packets don't get in because I've crossed some imaginary line and am on the
wrong side of it.  There needs to be a method that the digipeater would
realize that it's neighboring digi is not available and broaden it's range
automatically.  Come to think of it, imagine Scott Miller's T2
tracker/digi.  If he programmed it to look for the callsign of the
neighboring digipeater and stay in mode 1 (limited digipeating in this
example) as long as it heard the other digipeater every 10 minutes.  If the
other digi wasn't heard from in 10 minutes (or 20??) it would switch to mode
2 (a much more permissive digipeater mode in this example).  It would also
be very neat if we could use PL tones to identify the neighboring
digipeaters too.  In that case, external hardware (such as a timer) would
provide a logic signal to switch between modes.

Wes