[aprssig] 9600 BAUD UHF APRS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 19 01:39:46 EDT 2009

> We have been doing a little 9600 baud
> APRS on 438.975 for several years though.

Won't work in Baltimore. 439.250 is the powerful output of the ATV repeater, so 438.975 is right in the middle of the lower vistigial sideband.

But the Baltimore ATV repeater is unusual,  The more common arrangement is to have 439.250 be the user INPUT to the ATV repeater, and so having mobiles tansmitting on 438.975 would be unwelcome indeed! since it would hit  all atv activity ALL the time.

But I just realized while looking for a freq, we could be willing to concede that we only need a NATIONAL MOBILE 9600 baud INPUT channel as the minimum.  In areas where there are problems with it being an output, an output could be on a different local channel.  That FREQ OBJECT could be beaconed on 144.39 to all in range to alert them were to find the high speed output.

just some thoughts.

Bob, Wb4APR