[aprssig] 9600 BAUD UHF APRS

David Dobbins ddobbins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 23:34:05 EDT 2009

Our experimentation with 9600 baud APRS in the Puget Sound region for the
past year + shows it works, and works great. We have a dedicated 9600 baud
APRS infrastructure growing on 440.800MHz and will continue our development.
In a recent message with Bob WB4APR, re the 445.925 frequency.... he is
recommending that as a UHF voice coordination frequency for APRS, rather
than a data freq.

We will continue checking with our regional coordination authorities in
hopes of formally designating 440.800 for 9600 baud APRS. In reviewing the
WWARA band plan for UHF, 440.800 does not fall into any category for other
use, so works well with our plans.

Feedback appreciated..... will 440.800 work elsewhere in the country? We're
hoping for a single UHF frequency to continue development of a 9600 baud
infrastructure.

For those of you in larger metro areas, when you listen to 144.39 and all
the packet activity, do you seldom hear a pause between packets? If so, you
should pursue UHF 9600 baud development where the packets are much shorter
and propagation seems to be working pretty darn good. We're having lots of
success with both D700/D710 and KPC-9612 w/Icom or Alinco 9600 data radios
for TNCs.

We also have a very successful 9600 baud VHF infrastructure growing on
144.35 in the Puget Sound region.

There's lots of room for more informational data on a 9600 baud system, and
our guru's are busy exploiting that now.

Dave K7GPS
NWAPRS Lead Coordinator