[aprssig] TAC-5

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 17 14:08:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Geoff wrote:

> We do use tactical calls here in VK as well from time to time - WICEN has
> used them, as in an activation event it's much easier to identify AMBUL-1 as
> "Ambulance 1" than work out that VKnXYZ-1 is "Ambulance 1"
> It's just that here in 99% of the occasions that tactical calls are used,
> there it no IGate in the network to inject them to the APRS-IS.

We use tactical calls for events here in WA as well.  Xastir and
APRS+SA have the capability to assign TAC calls for display and
transmit that information to other Xastir/APRS+SA stations.   The
APRS mobile/portable stations in the event don't need to change
anything and can use their regular callsigns.  This works well and
removes the necessity of reprogramming the APRS mobiles/portables
that come to the event, increasing reliability of said stations.