[aprssig] TAC-5

Sergej rttyman at ukr.net
Tue Sep 15 17:23:34 EDT 2009

Pete wrote:

> As for Serj's request that the servers magically determine what is a tactical callsign or not, that
> is not going to happen in the near-real-time environment of the APRS-IS server.

No magic, need to create other filtered port and exclude follow traffic:

1) w/o figures or just figures in FromCall payload;
2) if SSID payload have something else of figures 0...15

Indeed, it is not difficult to do. This will solve 95% and
other 5% (if exist) can be solved manually by user-filter
with prefix exclude key (-p/XXXXX).

BTW looking to the whole APRS-IS traffic there is exist cases of
not tactical calls, just continuous beacons from TNC based digis,
that used ALIAS as Source field and its going to Igates and then
to APRS-IS. Yes, this alias beacons can be need for local area,
but when its going to IS this aliases can be easy mixed with other
Ham prexixes. Like TAC-5 can mix with Turkey APRS users ham prefix.

Other case is a failure configured systems, like Echolink objects
sent not by Object definition, just by Fromcall field with
Echolink_call + SSID of '-L' or Hams that use slash (/) in his Fromcall
payload etc...

I just suggest to enter optimum possibility. Once again I repeat
that this innovations will not against interests of whole users of APRS,
but even does more flexible the system for any end user of system.

73, Sergej