[aprssig] TAC-5

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Sep 14 22:43:16 EDT 2009

The most current version of the Australian Licence Conditions (Amateur
Licence) Determination (LCD) (amended February 2009) makes no specific
reference to requirements for packet stations which, presumably need to
ident in the same manner as voice stations. See below.

The LCD is here ....
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/9168262D74768FF4CA2573F4001D64F4/$file/AmateurLicence.pdf

(1) Subject to subsection (2A), if the licensee makes a single
transmission from
an amateur station (other than an amateur beacon station or amateur
repeater station), the licensee must transmit the call sign of any station
being called, or communicated with, followed by the call sign of the
licensee’s amateur station:
(a) at the beginning and end of the transmission; and
(b) for a transmission that lasts more than 10 minutes — at least once
during each period of 10 minutes in the transmission; and
(c) by voice (using the English language), by visual image or by an
internationally recognised code.
(2) Subject to subsection (2A), if the licensee makes a series of
transmissions
from an amateur station (other than an amateur beacon station or amateur
repeater station) to a station with which communications have been
established:
(a) the licensee must transmit the call sign of the station being called, or
communicated with, followed by the call sign of the licensee’s amateur
station:
(i) at the beginning and at the end of the series of transmissions; and
(ii) by voice (using the English language), by visual image or by an
internationally recognised code; and
(b) for a transmission that lasts more than 10 minutes — the licensee must
transmit the call sign of the station being called or communicated with,
followed by the call sign of the licensee’s station:
(i) at least once during each period of 10 minutes in the course of the
series; and
(ii) by voice (using the English language), by visual image or by an
internationally recognised code.

There was a hiccup in Australia in about 1983/4 over an emerging Netrom
network due to Netrom not meeting ident requirements. That hiccup saw
the Rose networking protocol adopted in many areas. Netrom continues to
be used and I'm not aware of anyone being dragged over the coals for
using it. I think the licencing authority was being super cautious at
the time with that new fangled packet stuff.

Ray vk2tv