[aprssig] Airborne Digis

Bob Poortinga aprssig at k9sql.us
Mon Sep 14 17:11:09 EDT 2009

Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> writes:

> Remember, the home digis are primarily using "dumb" non-APRS-aware classic
> clunker hand-me-down TNCs (like PK-232s and TNC2 clones like MFJ-127x) that
> blindly respond to the fixed alias WIDE1-1 and *DON'T DO *dupe checking.
>  (Dupe checking is an APRS-specific feature only present in KPC3s and the
> new-generation APRS-centric TNCs like Tracker2s, TT4s, TNC-X, etc. or in
> TNCs under  control of KISS-mode APRS software like UIview.)

You may be forgetting that the UIDIGI firmware for TNC2/MFH-127x TNCs
does indeed perform dupe-checking.
<http://www.qsl.net/n8deu/uidigi_eprom_settings.htm#DuplicateSuppression>.

I'm running a fill-in digi using an MFJ-1270B with UIDIGI at this moment.

Anyone with direct access to APRS-IS data, care to tell us how many
APNUxx digis are currently on-line?

73 de
--
Bob Poortinga  K9SQL