[aprssig] ATV on APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 13:41:09 EDT 2009

K7FTP wrote:

> Kenwood at one time had a very neat little camera that would easily
> interface to the TH-D7A, but they long ago stopped that.  There isn't
> much out there unless you home build it, and far too few are
> interested in that.

The VC-H1 was a unique one-of-a-kind device. It was not just "a camera"
but an entire SSTV system that included camera, LCD color monitor and
scan converter in a single hand-held package.  And it wouldn't just
interface with the TH-D7.  It would interface to any radio like an
external speaker/mic.  Kenwood really fumbled the marketing of this
device by not making clear it would work with ANY voice radio.  [SSTV
only requires voice-band audio into the mic jack on TX, voice-band audio
off the speaker on RX and PTT; i.e. same hookup as a TNC or sound card.]

However, it was really done in by:

1)   Exceptionally mediocre CCD imager - a low-quality low-res device
similar to an X-10 spy cam that would overload and wash out in outdoors
daylight.  I.e. just where you would take a SSTV device liberated from
big boxes in the shack.

2)   One of the worst support software packages ever offered with a
piece of hardware.  The Win95/98 program had a Win 3.1 user interface
with incorrectly labeled buttons, misspellings on others & mangled
Japanese English help screens.   The biggest problem though was that
this package absolutely positively wouldn't work on NT-based Windows;
i.e. Windows 2000 or XP.     When XP became the dominant home OS,
Kenwood killed this slow-selling product, rather than redo this turkey
of a program.

[I have a Win98SE Virtual Machine running in my Win XP systems
exclusively to continue to be able to run the Kenwood support program.]

I have two of the VC-H1's.  A little-known capability of the device is
that you can remove the camera head, exposing a 3.5mm stereo min-jack,
and then plug in ANY NTSC video source.      I connect the NTSC monitor
OUTPUT of a Canon Powershot digital still camera to my VC-H1s.  Not only
can you frame-grab (for SSTV transmisson) recently shot pics stored in
the Canon, you can frame-grab live scenes when the Canon is in shooting
mode (where the video out becomes a live viewfinder).   The resulting
image quality is about 1000% better than the VC-H1's own camera.

I have this setup permanently mounted on the dash of my car as the
"WA8LMF Mobile SSTV LiveCAM".   Which IS announced in the comment fields
of my D700 beacons.......