[aprssig] VX-8 and Computer

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Sat Sep 5 15:26:58 EDT 2009

Besides, an HT is NOT a mobile radio. You must mount it cell phone
holder style. Then the buttons are not accessable (say, FN on the side
and a keypad button). The display is too small to read from the dash to
the driver position.

The transmitter power is puny.

The receiver lacks front end that a "real" receiver would have, due to
the small size of the radio.

If you don't mount it, you end up moving the HT, coax, and power cord at
a minimum, to bring the HT to your face to talk.

If you do mount it, you have speaker, mic, power, coax to antenna, and
aprs / gps wiring.

Then the UIView PC.

Consider this:

What if an airbag deploys, will any of your gear be in the way?

What if you, from 60, do a full force ABS active stop? Does any of your
installation move???

Again - HT's are not mobile radios.

I have 4 radios installed - and it looks neat and secure.

GE Phoenix for APRS / conventional packet
Motorola Micor UHF voice
Icom IC-208H V/U voice
Kenwood TM3530A 222 voice

Another issue with HT and accessories as mobile - it must not be cig
-lighter powered.. it should be on real power, fused on both sides of
the fire wall, wires to battery, and so on.

Antennas should be through hole mounted, no mag mounts :)

Mics must have a proper hangar - you don't want a loose mic underfoot,
in the car seat mecanism, or under a pedal.

THINK before operating mobile.