[aprssig] New Writeup On HF APRS Posted To My Website

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 22:58:52 EDT 2009

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Actually, I think I can support that.  In fact, lets make it happen.  Lets change all docs to make such settings obsolete and make sure all docs only suggest NO HOPS, NO DIGIPEATS and NO GATES on HF.  The advantages are numerous:
>
> 1) No digis - DOUBLES throughput
> 2) No path shortens packets by 14 bytes!
> 3) This improves reliability of 40 character lines by 20%!
> 4) No Gating to VHF minimizes QRM everywhere
> 5) IGates provide connectivity we didnt have in 1993
>
> And HF stuff coming in from all over the world is NOT LOCAL and of interest on any VHF net.
>
> Lets do it... Any objections?
>
> Bob
> Wb4APR

I've revised the HF APRS Notes page to add the gist of these comments
and have added the numbered points to the bullet list of dos and don'ts.

I have also added a bit more discussion on HF propagation, and a link to
a neat animated demonstration of propagation on 30, created with G4ILO's
"VOAprop" program.

     <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>      [Revised]

     <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/30-Meter-Animation.htm>  [New animated
graphic linked from above page]