[aprssig] New Writeup On HF APRS Posted To My Website

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 4 18:37:28 EDT 2009

> Given the large number of HF Igates
> around the world, one could almost
> argue against the need for WIDE2-1
> in a HF beacon....

Wow.. I saw that and almost jumped out of my skin!

So I went and read Stephen's page and now see that I should not
be alarmed.  What that sentence in context meant was:

"almost argue against the need for a one hope WIDE2-1 AFTER
being gated into a VHF network..."

I am glad everyone agrees that there is NO NEED OR VALUE (other
than maximum QRM and identifying one's self as clueless) FOR
DIGIPTEATING ON HF.
Stephens page says it well.

Although we allowed for the provision of having a generic digi
ALIAS on HF, it was FOR TESTING ONLY.  It absolutely should not
be used for anything other than an occasional
human-originitated-and-observed "ping" to see if anything hears
him.  Then REMOVE the path and operate with no HF hops.

In the original APRS docs HF.TXT there was also provision for a
TUNE alias for one MASTER station to be the "tune-to" standard.
You could send out a PING VIA TUNE and his station (if it heard
you ) would respond so you could see if you were on freq or not.

Good luck.  And if you hear ANYONE DIGIPEATING on HF, please
educate them.

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR