[aprssig] MapPoint Update Time Again!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 18:02:46 EDT 2009

Ed L Locklear wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Stephen H. Smith<wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Ed L Locklear wrote:
>>

>>> Stephen, WA8LMF
>>>
>>> Followed your instructions per the web page, ending result was a
>>> broken MapPoint.  Certain file (?) not compatible with new update.
>>> Will have to reinstall MapPoint 2k9 again.
>>>
>>> Please confirm as to which file should not be included in the update, if
>>> any.
>>>
>>> Ed, KF4CHG

>> Hmm ...    I don't know.   I've never tried it on 2009.     I've only been
>> updating earlier versions (MapPoint 2002,2004,2006) -- the whole point of
>> the updates was to avoid the bloatware, clunky new interface, and lack of
>> traditional MapPoint symbols in 2009 and beyond, by reusing older versions.
>>
>> What file is causing the error?
>>

> Stephen,
>
> The error message didn't state as to which file it was. However, I did
> notice somewhere else on your website about doing the updates and
> seemed there was a file not included.  I'll have to go back and check
> it out again.

That would be the update process from a CD-ROM described last year here:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/MapPoint_Info.htm>

I was suggesting not copying a needless file that supported Microsoft's
MSN Network subscription service over-the-air datacasting of current gas
station prices.  It wasn't that the file would break anything -- just
that it was a total waste of disk space on your hard disk.

I notice that the MSN datacast files are not present on this years CD
(or else they are hidden elsewhere).

I think the MSN Datacasting is a near-total commercial flop.  Originally
they were going to broadcast subscription data (weather, stock prices,
current traffic, gas prices, etc) to receivers in clunky oversized
sports watches.  Later, the network (which operates over SCA subchannels
of FM broadcast stations) was embraced by Garmin in some of their car
navigator GPS units. The first year of service is included with the
purchase of the Garmin GPS; then you have to renew at $40-50 / year.

My experience here in southern California is that the coverage is so
spotty (despite high-power FM stations on tall mountain tops) and the
traffic data so inaccurate and/or late that the service is basically
useless. The weather data is equally useless -- the geographic coverage
is far too coarsely grained. It would keep giving me the current temp
for a city 20 miles away, but on the other side of a range of mountains,
where the temp was 20-30 degrees different from where I was.

Further, for a service targeting heavy drivers (including presumably
commercial truckers), the gas station data updates DON'T INCLUDE DIESEL,
which made that feature totally useless for my VW Jetta TDI.

Finally, the coverage nationally is very patchy with only the largest
metro area having any coverage.  There are thousand of mid-sized cities
where you get NOTHING.

When the free first year on my Nuvi 680 ran out, I didn't renew it.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!  HF APRS Notes & Guide