[aprssig] Was 6 meter APRS, now 30M tone freq's and PSK

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 17:41:15 EDT 2009

Bob Poortinga wrote:
> Stephen H. Smith<wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
>

>> I didn't know there was ever any explicit support for APRS in AEA products.
>>

> I have a PK-12 which has very basic APRS support for an attached GPS.  It
> transmits the raw NMEA sentences as APRS packets.  I have successfully
> used it in the past as a standalone tracker.
>
> 73 de

Wasn't  the PK12  a TNC2 clone?    The very final TAPR TNC2 firmware
release ever, Ver 1.1.9, contained this raw NMEA rudimentary tracker
support.  I wonder if the PK-12 has a (possibly modified) version of
this firmware in it.

By "APRS support", I really was thinking in terms of  WIDEn-N
ssid-decrementing digipeating, callsign substitution, duplicate packet
suppression and other features unique to APRS compared to conventional
packet.

Dumb tracker support is, to me, a non-issue since sending long NMEA
strings is wasteful of air time on today's busy APRS channels and should
be discouraged. Further raw NMEA sharply reduces your chance of
successful digipeats/reception compared to modern compressed formats,
since the far longer packets are much more likely to get trashed by
noise pops, mobile flutter, other stations keying up at the same time, etc.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!  HF APRS Notes & Guide