[aprssig] Q: Voice Alert freqs around the world?

Craig Mitchell craig at camitchell.co.uk
Thu Sep 3 15:01:43 EDT 2009

Hi Kai,

I totally agree.. I would like if possible to see a European wide agreement
on the CTCSS tone frequency used. I understand it to be 136.5 Hz, but like
others have already said, you can find references to different frequencies
:(

Is there anyone responsible on a European level to say "Guys, this is the
value" and we just stick to it ?

I have made some effort in Finland to agree that it's 136.5 Hz and Jouni
OH2JIU (Finnish APRS manager) has put this information through the local
APRS mail distribution lists, but now's the time to act if we are to use a
different value before everyone has configured their radios. There's an idea
to write a short article in the local Amateur Radio magazine on the Voice
Alert concept, and in the mean time we have identified all the Finnish and
Irish Kenwood D7/D700/D710 users in Finlandand are in the processes of
guiding them to follow suit.. eg with pages like this:

http://www.elisanet.fi/craig/aprsvoicealert.html
http://www.ei7ig.org/aprs.html

Naturally it's only confusing if the information on these pages are
incorrect, so the sooner we agree on the CTCSS tone, the better :)

regards, Craig (OH1UK)

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Kai Gunter Brandt <kai.brandt at hjemme.no>wrote:

> Reijo Hakala wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Kai Gunter Brandt wrote:
> >>
> >> In Norway we are using 123Hz as this was suggested for Europe. Not sure
> >> how many countries have adapted this...
> >

> > Err,
> >
> > Europe: 136,5Hz
> >

> yes and 91.5 has been recomended etc.
>
> http://www.aprsla.net/dwnld/v_alert.txt
>
> So it really depend on when this was adopted.
>
> Anyhow i think as long as the same tone are used in country XX it's not
> a big problem. But it would probably be great if all European countries
> used the same CTCSS.
>
> Kai Gunter
> LA3QMA

Craig Mitchell