[aprssig] Java Class

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Sat Oct 31 14:18:46 EDT 2009

Matti Aarnio wrote:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jeaprs/
>> google on "sourceforge aprs java"
>
> Moved to  https://jeaprs.dev.java.net/
>
> It is a graphical application for APRS written in Java, and I do very
> much doubt there is any other connection than TCP/IP to APRSIS.
> It is old enough to predate Sun Java 5 feature javax.comm
>
> You see, Java has a bit challences when connecting to physical interfaces
> and networks of other kind that TCP/IP.
>
> The guiding idea on Java has been that application is platform unaware.
> This means that it can generally speaking do only things that all major
> platforms can do - file access, TCP/IP networking and start subprograms.
> There is Java Native Interface (alias JNI), however it is highly platform
> specific thing, and to take advantage of it, one must make most interesting
> constructs to conditionally activate these feature subsystems.
>
> However entire application is not same thing as small tool library, like
> that Ham::APRS::FAP.

Perhaps my posts are not all making it to the list?  There are in fact two
things in this project.  The library level parsing and construction of APRS
packets (and there is opentrac in there too), and the larger bit of code that
was my initial work on a "modular" application system.

The javax.comm business is a funny thing.  I have support for javax.comm.  You
just have to get the implementation for the platform that you want to run code on.

The RxTx project is the current main stream provider of implementations of this API.

Gregg Wonderly