[aprssig] Lowrance HDS-5 Baja Off-Road GPS Chartplotter and APRS

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 12:25:25 EDT 2009

No internet access needed, but can be done via mobile phone etc if need
be.   You have much more flexibility over there in that department.
But, you're then tied to "infrastructure"...

You have free mapping data in the US, that we can only dream of.  Here
(UK) we have to pay through the nose for any decent digital mapping.
Look at the OziExplorer mapping package, I think several people in the
US have got that working with US sourced digital mapping.   I believe
(at least I think I heard it can be done) that there is a way to
integrate that into some APRS software, so your "resources" can show up
on the map, much like UiView.

Or, use UiView, and whatever digital mapping you can get to work with
it.  Again, that is much more successfull in the US from what I read on
this list, than what we end up with, though I think there is a way to
"Hack" things, so AutoRoute Europe/UK map data, can be used in some way
with UiView, but I've never understood exactly how.

Some of the recent "NetBook" mini laptop PC's are extremely capable and
ludicrously rugged, the size of the internal solid state disk's just
keeps on growing.  You can of course also use an external (mounted in a
shock/vibration isolating mount) conventional disk drive if needed too.
We use some in our 4x4 responce club for live mapping with Memory Map
software (expensive!)  No APRS use, not enough licenced members, thogh I
can do that with this laptop if needed.

If you go the Linux route, again, there is lots of help via this list,
with getting things like Xastir up and working, and that has all sorts
of neat features.  I think it's that that can(may?) be interfacable with
OziExplorer, not 100% sure though.

Someone on here will know..

Lastly, your snorkle inlet is facing the wrong way.  If you hit a big
puddle at speed with that, Bang!  Expensive engine repairs needed.
Nice looking truck though, even if it is not a Land Rover!  ;-)

Regards.

Dave G0WBX.