[aprssig] Lowrance HDS-5 Baja Off-Road GPS Chartplotter and APRS

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Sun Oct 25 17:25:00 EDT 2009

No, I am not saying it will not work.  When you use the term "APRS" in a generic manner, its hard to tell you if it will "work" with this particular GPS.

You did mention a Kenwood D710 in your OP, so I will assume that is your target device.  The D710 is looking for 4800 baud NMEA serial data.  If this GPS can output standard NMEA at 4800 through a serial link, it should work.  The D710 uses a 2.5mm (3/32") stereo plug for the GPS connection.  Depending on the serial connector of the GPS, you will most likely have to come up with some kind of cable to connect the two together.  As for $GPWPL waypoint strings, that again is going to depend on the two-way NMEA capability of the GPS.  The thing I can tell you will NOT work will be the proprietory Kenwood/AvMap commands.  Having said that, IF the $GPWPL strings work with this Lowerance unit, they will most likely be simple waypoint marks without custom icons or any kind of comment data.

I was simply making the suggestion that you can probaly get a great Garmin unit for the same price.  The one I have run for years is the GPSMap 176c.  This is a color screen, non-touchscreen and not as great as the higher end models, but it does have a serial port and a nice big color LCD that is easy to read.  When it comes to relying on a GPS unit, Garmin is my only choice.

Embedded GPS modules are another story :o)

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com