[aprssig] APRS TNC Digi Tracker now with built-in GPS receiver

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Sun Oct 25 15:41:22 EDT 2009

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I did a lot of work during the development phase to see if it was worth
adding Smart Beaconing. The conclusion I came to was that it was very
difficult to get Smart Beaconing to work in UK and European conditions.
I understand that it's designed to transmit a packet with a change of
direction. We don't have the grid system of city streets over here so
the beacon rate driving in towns and cities ends up far higher than just
running a timed beacon every two or three minutes. The large roundabouts
(traffic circles?) at motorway junctions also cause many rapid bursts of
packets. I like the idea of the reduced rate when stationary and that
appears to be the only benefit over here. I've nothing against Smart
Beaconing, these are just my observations. If anyone has any suggested
settings I would be willing to try them.

Regarding the messages I'm not sure if it's that or Mozilla Thunderbird
that sends the messages that way.

73,

Chris, G4HYG

Chris Moulding
Cross Country Wireless (2009) Ltd
7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
Tel/fax: +44(0)1204 410626
Mobile:  +44(0)7752 391908
Website: http://www.crosscountrywireless.net
Company number 6780346 registered in England and Wales