[aprssig] GPS tracking how to get Lat/Lon's

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Oct 19 12:46:03 EDT 2009

> APRS is only freely licensed for use in amateur radio. If you do not
> have a license, you should look into commercial licensing from the
> author, Bob Bruninga: http://www.aprs.net/vm/DOS/COMMERCL.HTM

Since I just covered this in the Yahoo APRS group, I'm just going to
paste my message from there:

---

Bob owns the APRS trademark.  You can't call something APRS or use his
logo without his permission.

Bob holds the copyright on the APRSdos program.  He can impose licensing
restrictions ON THAT PROGRAM for people who choose to use it.

Bob (and maybe others) also holds the copyright to the APRS
specification document.  You can't reproduce it without permission.

Bob has no legal authority to control what you do with the protocol. You
can set up a commercial tracking system on commercial frequencies
(within the limits of the FCC rules, of course) and run Xastir or any
other program that doesn't include a non-commercial use restriction in
its end-user license agreement.  You just can't market it as APRS(r)
without Bob's permission.  As far as I know, it's been many years since
Bob claimed otherwise.

See Baker v. Selden, 101 U.S. 99 (1879) for more on the idea/expression
dichotomy.

Scott
N1VG