[aprssig] Mobile and incommunicado on the NJ Turnpike

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Oct 12 11:41:42 EDT 2009

> My comments... in context... apply to my
> preferred use of APRS for what it gives
> to me, the mobile operator while I am
> driving (not to others who may be watching
> a map).

Speaking of which, I just completed a round trip from Maryland to Connecticut and back.  And on the return trip the full length of the NJ turnpike, I dont think I got a single recommended voice frequency object.  I could hear a few QSO's on a few repeaters, and even taking the time to search through all 35 PL tones, I could still not join in because some had odd inputs.

In Connecticut, I saw several voice frequency objects appear on my radio and got out a few calls.  Even made a Voice Alert contact in NJ, and I do remember seeing some of them on the way up, so statistically, they are porbably there, and I just missed them.  But it might be a good idea for someone to check all digipeaters for their state.

Could someone take a look at each digipeater in their state and make sure it is putting out its local-direct recommended voice repeater objects for its area of coverage?  This is one of the best information items we can provide to the mobile APRS traveler.  These objects give FREQ, TONE, and INPUT, everything the mobile APRS operator needs to communicate.

Sinec each digipeater can now provide up to three of these local objects (direct), they are of great value to the mobile operator.

Please see www.aprs.org/localinfo.html to see how.

Since these objects are local-direct, some of them may not make it to the APRS-IS, so the absence of an object on the APRS-IS does not mean they are not there... but locals can figure this out by knowing the locaion of the local IGate.

An easy way to search on FINDU is to bring up each digi, and then click STATIONS NEAR and somewhere in that list, should be the local freq object.  If not, then a second-order query is required to ask nearby locals (not trackers) if they are seeing the local frequency object direct.

If not, then investigate with the digi owner...?

This is a way for local APRS operators to improve their local network for travelers.  In fact, it would be nice to have a report on the number of its digi's in their area that are now performing this service?

Bob, Wb4APR