[aprssig] Inexpensive mag-mount antennas for 144.39

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Oct 9 12:54:12 EDT 2009

Yeah, I know MFJ and others carry something similar, but I've got them
cheaper than everyone else (that I know of) and I got the factory to
trim these antennas for 144.39 MHz.  They work fine across the 2m band
(see the VSWR plot) but I figured they might as well be optimized for
the frequency they're most likely to be used on.

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=132

They've also got nice felt-covered bases to avoid scratching paint.  My
NMO magmount not only tears up paint, it abrades its way through duct
tape and thin plastic over the course of a long road trip, so I'm a
little paranoid about this now.

They're $15.50 each, and I just added some quantity price breaks in case
you want to outfit your ARES group or something.

BTW, I'm going to be out in Barstow, CA tomorrow for SAR City, giving a
2-hour presentation on APRS in Search and Rescue.  This year I'm doing
more hands-on demos, with my own hardware and stuff from Byonics and
BigRedBee, plus Kenwood and Yaesu stuff.  If anyone in the area wants to
show off any interesting hardware, let me know.  I'm hoping to have as
wide a variety of stuff to demo as possible.

Scott
N1VG