[aprssig] APRS message numbers

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Nov 21 21:48:56 EST 2009

Andrew Rich wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me what is the relationship between APRS
> message numbers and payload ?
>
> What can the APRS message number go up to ?
>
> Is it two digits 0 padded ?
>
> Can you send "TEST{34" and "TEST{45"

Pull a copy of APRS101.PDF and read chapter 14.  Once you understand the
"message number" or "ack" from there, check out
http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/replyacks.txt to confuse yourself even more.

> What does the system / mobiles do with it ?

First, there is no "system" to APRS, just a bunch of stations and
computers that happen to speak a shared protocol.  There is no "central
server" either.  APRS-IS is simply a pipe that carries APRS-formatted
traffic further than RF can.

Basically a message can end in an open curly { followed by from 1 to 5
alphanumeric characters.  The receiver is expected to take the
characters after the { and send them back to the sender in another
message whose only text is ackXXXXX where XXXXX are the characters after
the { in the original message.

> What happens if I send "TEST TWO{34" is that considered a new message ?

Every message is considered a "new" message.  Receiving stations
(according to the spec) are expected to send back an ack for EVERY
message received, even duplicates.

> Does the system rely on the fact that the message will either get
> delievered or die off before the same message number is re-used ?

The sending station doesn't rely on anything in particular.  Many
stations will keep retransmitting a message until a corresponding ack is
received or a retry counter expires.  The actual value of the characters
following the { are up to the sending station.  If the sending station
wants to re-use them, it can.  No station outside of the sending and
receiving station is supposed to care.

If you are generating new message traffic, you become the sending
station and should put your own ack code on it (if you want an ack).  If
you are spoofing that the message came from some other station
(considered bad practice on APRS), then you should NOT include an ack
code as it will go back to that station that won't have any clue what to
do with it.

Given this, you might begin to see why my design called for the message
buffering server (not any existing thing within APRS RF or -IS) to do
its own messaging to/from the sender and receiver and not just blindly
and automatically buffer the message and deliver it later without
permission.

Consider station A sending a message to station B suggesting that they
meet for lunch.  Station B isn't on the air and doesn't get the message,
so station A lunches alone.  Three days later, station B goes on the air
and is "discovered" so the buffered message is delivered just before
lunch.  Station B thinks it is new and goes to the suggested watering
hole only to wait hours and finally leave disgruntled that Station A
stood him/her up.  Not a good thing.

IMHO, any message buffer/re-delivery service needs to get the sender's
permission before buffering a message and also needs to inform the
eventual recipient that this message has been delayed.  And you can't
muck within the message body as it may already be at the maximum allowed
length.

Complicated, isn't it?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ