[aprssig] Bufferless KISS TNCs ?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Nov 10 08:59:23 EST 2009

I think you need to read up on the AX.25 actual on-the-air protocol.  It
is a bit-wise protocol complete with required bit-stuffing and already
includes error detection at the end of each packet.  The on-the-air
protocol is NOT byte-delimited, but is a BIT stream.  Getting that
stream back to the PC and allowing local validation could be as easy as
simply adding the current AX.25 checksum to the end of the KISS packet.

However, it is inevitable that someone somewhere would hook up one of
these to software that expects to receive only good packets and we'd end
up with lots of bit-errorred packets all over APRS.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just my $0.02