[aprssig] Canadian APRS operation with a US license

Bruce Coates bruce.coates at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 6 18:20:59 EST 2009

Hi Michael

Your exactly right on what appending the Canadian regional suffix is
intended to convey.  It's a method of identifying which province you're
transmitting from.  It's very common on HF where it's you can't easily tell
where a signal is originating from and is intended to notify the receiving
station that the signal is not really coming from the location indicated by
the operator's call.  It's less common on higher frequencies where DX
contacts are less common.  Many references say the same for Canadian hams
operating in the US.  Since US call prefixes no longer correlate with
specific regions, it has become less meaningful.  It's intended as a
courtesy but not a strict legal requirement.  When it comes to APRS,
everyone already knows exactly where you're transmitting from because of
your position beacon so trying to appending a regional prefix is redundant.
If you want to keep everyone perfectly happy you can always throw a "Sight
seeing (or whatever you're doing) in southern Ontario (or wherever you're
going)" in your status text.

In short, you don't have to change anything.  Just come on up and enjoy the
country.  In case you're wondering you would still run on 144.390 and most
of the digipeaters in Canada support WIDEn-n.

73, Bruce
VE5BNC