[aprssig] WIDEn-N question My Summary

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 10:16:57 EST 2009

Bob,

Sorry 'bout that.

Here is what I'm testing my understanding on:

/nit flag on/

I think this may be called an oxymoron - a (necessariyl) self conflicting standard.

Though this is "recommended" for mobile 3-hop :  WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

Is not, the "theoretically" correct 3 hop path: WIDE1-1,WIDE3-2  ?

The "3" indicating the Original Packet's desire for a 3 hop *total* ?

Reasoning: Since the 2-hop is:  WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
   and the "2" indicates a *total* desire for a 2-hop ... it 'seems' resonable that the "3" should be there for the 3-hop desire.

{ of course, we know that a 2-hop can't be the alternative "WIDE1-1,WIDE1-1", so therein lies the rub. ]

At the risk of over explaining my rationale...
[ I view this second path segment (...WIDE2-1) to be "prematurely decremented" by the originating station.  It "seems" to have originally requested 2 *more* hops, but it only requested one with the "-1".  This is part of the basis for my saying the "3" is "correct" in the other one.

We had an email exchange a while back and this was my departing understanding.  You also added that, due to history, folks in some areas would find the "3-2" confusing and therefore to just use the "2-2"  anyway.

 So is/was the original intent for each segment of the path descriptor to use the "n" to specify only its OWN sub-max-hop number,  OR was the  *last*  path descriptor to show the Packets TOTAL max-hop number.  I see several conflicting issues for either concept to work 100%.

Sorry, I've been an Engineer too long.

As I said, I don't go to this detail in any beginner talks I gave/will give.

-- 73, Steve, K9DCI
  http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/