[aprssig] Java Class

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Sun Nov 1 00:10:42 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:18:46PM -0500, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> Matti Aarnio wrote:
> >>http://sourceforge.net/projects/jeaprs/
> >>google on "sourceforge aprs java"
> >
> >Moved to  https://jeaprs.dev.java.net/

Much of my perhaps not entirely wrong email removed..
> Perhaps my posts are not all making it to the list?

Maybe they are, I noticed your original reply much latter when browsing my inbox.

>    There are in
> fact two things in this project.  The library level parsing and
> construction of APRS packets (and there is opentrac in there too),
> and the larger bit of code that was my initial work on a "modular"
> application system.
>
> The javax.comm business is a funny thing.  I have support for
> javax.comm.  You just have to get the implementation for the
> platform that you want to run code on.
>
> The RxTx project is the current main stream provider of implementations of this API.

Yep.  So much for the "universally available platform support"..
The RxTx may work on many things, but it is not included as standard
system component on all systems, so you have to include it yourself in
application packaging, and it becomes a rather hairy proposition rather
quickly...  Somewhen along Java7 or 8 it may become standard system
package, such as happened to several Apache Java projects in XML application
space ... at least on Sun Java;  no idea of what IBM or Microsoft JVMs/JDKs
have these days for XML processing.  (How many vendors there are delivering Java
runtimes?  Some interace things are standardized, but there are still some
ways to make interestingly different platforms  ->  JNI for Sun runtime might
not work on IBM runtime for same Linux platform, for example.)

Sometimes a well-written ANSI-C (C++, whatnot) program is simpler to
make running and be used on different systems, than when one has to
play with the Java Native Interface on different vendor's java JVM..

Sometimes that "compile once, run everywhere" goal of Java works, other
times it fails miserably.  But it is decent for things like javAPRSSrvr
and APRSIS network connected GUI applications.  For anything else it is
varyingly challenging.

But this is getting far from aprssig topic.

I begun to write Java APRS FAP library:

  http://repo.ham.fi/websvn/java-aprs-fap/

At least initially it will be limited on parsing (not producing) APRS frames,
and its interface API will resemble that of Perl Ham::APRS::FAP, but it will
be more towards Java way of making things.

> Gregg Wonderly

73 de Matti, OH2MQK