[aprssig] Kenwood D7 software on Linux?

Pierre Thibaudeau ve2prt at sympatico.ca
Sat May 30 09:04:25 EDT 2009

Yesterday, 20:28 -0700, Greg D. wrote:

>    Bummer.  The software only knows how to talk to COM1 through 4.

In which case you have to replace one of those by a symbolic link to the
actual device. ex:

   ln -fs /dev/ttyS4 /dev/ttyS3

Doing so, wine will be able to access the /dev/ttyS4 device as "COM4" as
well as "COM5) (and linux applications will be able to access it as ttyS3
as well as ttyS4).

One more thing,

On most distributions, access to the serial ports is permitted to root and
to members of the "uucp" group. Unless you are running as root (which is
never a good idea), you should edit the /etc/group to add your own user id
to the uucp line:

   uucp:x:14:uucp,<your_username>

>    The annoyance is that Linux has it stuck in its mind that the second
>    and third serial ports (which are via an add-in PCI card with no
>    jumpers) are /dev/ttyS4 and S5.  The previous incarnation of the
>    system (OpenSuSE 10.2) was well behaved and numbered them S1 and S2,
>    but a previous one to that had them up in the teens (S14 and S15, if
>    I recall).  I don't know of any way to change that; is there?

On startup, linux precreates the /dev/ttyS0 to 3 regardless of there
actual presence. Addon boards are assigned from 4.

'73 - Pierre
__

Pierre Thibaudeau
VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD sysadmin