[aprssig] Kenwood D7 software on Linux?

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 23:28:38 EDT 2009

Hi Pierre,

{snip}

> >    I did try all 4 COM devices within the program, and all gave an
> >    error.  At least, using COM2 took a few seconds to give the error,
> >    suggesting that it did access the port, but somehow they failed to
> >    communicate.
>
> Almost there,
>
> /dev/ttyS0 is known to wine as COM1, /dev/ttyS1 as COM2 and so on. So
> /dev/ttyS4 is COM5 and /dev/ttyS5 is COM6.
>
> '73 - Pierre
> __
>
> Pierre Thibaudeau
> VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD sysadmin

Bummer.  The software only knows how to talk to COM1 through 4.

But, how does Wine know what the mapping is?  Are these hard-coded names, or are there links somewhere that I can change?  I tried changing the symbolic link that I made under dosdevices to "com2:" (adding the colon), and the timeout turned into an immediate error.  So I concluded that the link is correct.

The annoyance is that Linux has it stuck in its mind that the second and third serial ports (which are via an add-in PCI card with no jumpers) are /dev/ttyS4 and S5.  The previous incarnation of the system (OpenSuSE 10.2) was well behaved and numbered them S1 and S2, but a previous one to that had them up in the teens (S14 and S15, if I recall).  I don't know of any way to change that; is there?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH