[aprssig] Kenwood D7 software on Linux?

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 22:58:17 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,

The PC has three physical serial ports, and for some reason Linux has named them /dev/ttyS0, S4, and S5.  S0 goes to my radio's CAT system, S4 to the Az/El rotor, and S5 to the TNC.  So, if I was running DOS or Windows, it would be COM2 (being the second serial port), so that's what I picked.  But it's just a symbolic link in the dosdevices directory under ~/.wine (or in this case, the Crossover equivalent), so in theory I could pick any COM device I wanted.  Or, do I have this symbolic link thing all wrong, and need to configure it somewhere else?

I did try all 4 COM devices within the program, and all gave an error.  At least, using COM2 took a few seconds to give the error, suggesting that it did access the port, but somehow they failed to communicate.

Hmmm, now that I think of it, I wonder if it's freaking out not seeing the DSD/CTS/etc control signals?

Greg  KO6TH