[aprssig] more on APRS objects

Danny Pease dpease at adams.net
Fri May 22 12:41:28 EDT 2009

<snip>

>> I am not at the digi. I was hoping
>> to do the latter.

If the topic is generating one of the Locally Receommended Repeater Objects
for travelers in the area, these are
supposed to be originated at the digi, not at a home base station.  The
reasons are manyfold:
1) This is part of the New Paradigm DIGI set up.  It is a digi function to
inform its users in its footprint of valuable information

2) Originating at the digi takes HALF the bandwidth compared to originating
it elsewhere

3) Originating at the digi is free bandwidth, since the digi will never TX
on top of other signals.  Home stations cannot hear what the digi hears and
will collide.

4) Most home stations operate with 2 hops.  Generating this object via 2
hops is SPAM to a very large area which cannot use the information.

5) If the local digi is not set up to TX this local info, then the effort
should be to contact the systop and encourage him to proplery add this to
his digi.  Not to generate it from a base station.  THIS IS IMPORTANT.

6) Now if the choice is AT HOME, or NO OBJECT, then I would say it is better
to have the object, BUT ONLY ONE HOP, and only TEMPORARY until the sysop
sets it up.

I am glad you are taking the initiative, however...

thanks!
Bob, WB4APR

<snip>

OK can a digi send multiple objects?  I am using UI-digi for out digi and am
currently sending one object for a local voice repeater, but we have 5 other
voice repeaters in the local area and only one digipeater. I do not see an
easy way to send more than one object using the digi btext and would like to
add a couple more voice repeater objects. How would you suggest it be done
if not with a home station? And in my case my home station cannot be heard
by mobiles where the repeaters are located and I will want to use the digi
as a path.

Danny NG9R