[aprssig] Newbie APRS object question

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 22 03:59:55 EDT 2009

>> I am not at the digi. I was hoping
>> to do the latter.

If the topic is generating one of the Locally Receommended Repeater Objects for travelers in the area, these are
supposed to be originated at the digi, not at a home base station.  The reasons are manyfold:
1) This is part of the New Paradigm DIGI set up.  It is a digi function to inform its users in its footprint of valuable information

2) Originating at the digi takes HALF the bandwidth compared to originating it elsewhere

3) Originating at the digi is free bandwidth, since the digi will never TX on top of other signals.  Home stations cannot hear what the digi hears and will collide.

4) Most home stations operate with 2 hops.  Generating this object via 2 hops is SPAM to a very large area which cannot use the information.

5) If the local digi is not set up to TX this local info, then the effort should be to contact the systop and encourage him to proplery add this to his digi.  Not to generate it from a base station.  THIS IS IMPORTANT.

6) Now if the choice is AT HOME, or NO OBJECT, then I would say it is better to have the object, BUT ONLY ONE HOP, and only TEMPORARY until the sysop sets it up.

I am glad you are taking the initiative, however...

thanks!
Bob, WB4APR