[aprssig] APRS iPhone App

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue May 19 19:28:43 EDT 2009

The iPod touch is limited to WiFi determination. That is pretty
accurate (the range of a wifi signal - say 200 feet) for access points
the system knows about, mostly public hotspots. Unfortunately there is
no way to register the location of other access points, so it will not
know where it is in your home and other private places you visit.

Glad to see this got approved, my quick and dirty app which just did
position (not messaging like this one) was rejected three times, I'd
given up trying. First was for limited audience, second was for a
memory leak (30 bytes every time the program was run, hardly a
crisis), and the third time without a specific reason. I've heard free
apps are less likely to get approved than pay ones, but I wanted mine
to be free. Oh well...

I used my app on a trip from the Keys to Tallahassee, see

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=k4hg-8&geo=usa.geo&refresh=63&start=999&zoom=2

I only ran the app intermittently, I was in a park vehicle with a
single power port, and running the GPS in the iPhone really sucks
power, but it worked everywhere along the route. Compare that to this

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=k4hg-5&geo=usa.geo&refresh=63&start=999&zoom=2

which is a VX-8R running all the time with a three minute rate. For
those that travel outside of cities, even within, the internet has
become a much more reliable transport medium than the APRS network.
W7LUS has known this for a while ;-)

For those that use the iPhone, look at these pages, which use the
iPhone CSS to produce a familiar UI.

http://www1.findu.com/cgi-bin/iPhoneFind.cgi?call=k4hg-5

The www1 is required for now, I have not loaded this on the backup
server.

Follow the radar link, this uses zoom to produce an image optimized
for the iPhone display, and can be pinch-zoomed for more detail.

Steve K4HG