[aprssig] Slightly OT: GPS Receiver Recomendations

Amir Findling K9CHP sarlabs at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:58:24 EDT 2009

Now if you want a GPS that can do more than display waypoints of
stations, I'd recommend the Garmin 60Cx or CSx. You could then add road
navigation software and have turn-by-turn capabilities while running
APRS at the same time. Or you could load it with free topos off the web
and still see the locations of other stations on the map. These two
units are fantastic, reception is excellent, visibility is great and
prices are falling. You can also get the power with the Kenwood data
cord and then use the cigar lighter plug and save on batteries. The
60C(S)x will work even in the console of your car! Now if you wanted
just something to beacon your position, then the advice you already got
is the cheaper way to go.

Antenna: I recommend connecting the D7 to a small 1/4 wave mag mount
antenna. Your signal will get further and reach more digis, than any HT
antenna in a Faraday cage, meaning your car.

    * 73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, ARRL/ W5YI VE, WAC, WAS
    * Website: www.K9CHP.net <http://www.k9chp.net> Blog:
      http://k9chp.blogspot.com <http://k9chp.blogspot.com/>
    * Senior K9 Handler, Eagle Valley Search Dogs http://evdogs.org
      <http://evdogs.org/>
    * K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams
    * 1st Special Response Group (1SRG) www.1srg.org <http://www.1srg.org/>