[aprssig] APRStt software?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue May 19 12:31:08 EDT 2009

Ah, I missed that part.  The SR1 actually has 4 MB of flash storage
(going up to 8 MB soon due to component obsolescence), so it has space
for a database, but I don't like the scheme.

Has anyone actually figured out what the rate of hash collisions is
likely to be?  I think it's going to be higher than the spec implies.
Looking at the stations around here, I see that a bunch of them would
have the same first 3 digits, despite representing 5 or 6 different
callsign prefixes.

I don't see how it's good enough that it works MOST of the time, if the
user doesn't know in advance if it's going to work or not.

If someone can show me a BNF specification for APRStt that shows there's
no ambiguity in the message definitions, and can show that hash
collisions aren't going to be significant, and that the benefits of this
whole scheme outweigh the complexity and implementation effort, then
maybe I'll work on it.  Until then - and I mean no disrespect to anyone
here - I've got enough projects to keep me busy, and someone else can
deal with the early adopter headaches.

Scott
N1VG